Green Coffee and Acne: Are you losing the fight against wrinkles and acne? Want to maintain a youthful appearance? If so, then green coffee beans are a viable option in your quest for the more youthful skin. Coffee beans are more widely known for their capacity to provide a nice cup of coffee which helps many individuals stay alert. However, what many may not know is that green, immature, unroasted coffee beans have a myriad of benefits especially for the skin. Green coffee beans contain powerful antioxidants, these anti-oxidants are known as coffee and CGA. Anti-oxidants play an important role in retarding the aging process, and as green coffee beans have a high anti-oxidant content, they are among the most viable anti-aging skin remedy.
Scientific studies have shown that green coffee beans rejuvenate the skin and minimize the appearance of wrinkles. In one study, 40 female subjects applied coffee arabica see oil (product of green coffee beans) on their faces over the course of 12 weeks. At the end of the 12 weeks, the participants showed notable improvements in the appearance of wrinkles, texture of the facial skin as well as firmness. These benefits were attributed to the ability of coffee arabica seed oil to promote the production of collagen and elastin.
What’s in Green Coffee, anyway?
Green Coffee is super complex. It contains over 1,000 chemical compounds – that’s more than chocolate, green tea, and wine. The best-known ingredient in green coffee is, of course, Chlorogenic Acid, which gives coffee its incredible stimulant and mood-enhancing properties. But green coffee also contains things like:
- Diterpenes (cafestol, kahweol)
Green Coffee is an incredibly complex chemical soup with a complex interplay of health benefits and drawbacks.
How does Green Coffee help to Reduce Acne?
- Green coffee inhibits the production of sebum by 50%.
- It is 50% more effective than benzoyl peroxide.
- It has an antibacterial property which helps to kill the bacteria that cause acne.
- Green coffee contains 6 active catechins which include epicatechin gallate, epigallocatechin, epicatechin, gallocatechin, epigallocatechin – 3 gallates or EGCG that prevent cell damage, reduce irritation, inflammation and protect against the free radicals that cause acne.
- It helps regulate insulin levels, blood pressure, and balances hormones, both of which contribute to the severity of acne.
- Green coffee prevents acne scarring.
- Green coffee contains antioxidants, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), tocopherols (vitamin E), carotenoids (vitamin A), selenium, zinc, manganese, and chromium, which are essential to healthy skin.
- It protects the skin from sun damage that enhances the appearance of acne scars.
- Consumption of green coffee triggers the release of cortisol, which reduces stress and, by extension, stress-induced acne.
Benefits of Green Coffee for Acne
Green coffee has some pretty cool potential benefits for your skin… and your overall health! If you’ve read much of our website, you know that these are almost one-and-the-same. Taking good care of your health is taking good care of your skin.
Turns out that drinking green coffee can make your skin produce less sebum, reduce your inflammation levels, and boost your immune system. That’s a powerful trio of effects for acne-busting.